Here is another easy to throw together recipe that has been highly requested from my IG framily! It is really really good y’all! Also it was perfect timing for the SNOW (yes I said snow) and cold weather that recently hit Houston. You know we got to take advantage of it while we can because we’ll be in shorts and flip flops next week!!!
- Package of Diced Hashbrown Potatoes (I found these easier to work with than the shredded)
- 8 oz of Cream Cheese (take out the night before so it can be room temperature or pop it in the microwave for about 30 secs WITHOUT the foil packaging please)
- Quarter of diced onion. Use more or less based on your preference
- Can of cream of chicken soup
- About 32 oz of chicken broth
- Water (you may not need this)
- Seasonings to taste (I used seasoned salt, garlic and onion powder and dry ranch dressing seasoning)
- Place cream cheese, onions and entire package of potatoes in a sprayed or lined crockpot.
- Pour in can of cream of chicken soup
- Pour in chicken broth. It should be about an inch over the mixture if not add water and you can also add a chicken bouillon cube for extra flavor (I did). Then add seasonings. I would suggest lightly seasoning it because you can add more to taste when done. Also if you add bacon directly in the soup like I did later you don’t want it too salty to begin with.
- Set on low for 4-5 hours depending on your crockpot. Or high for 2-3 hrs. You can also make this on the stove top just simmer on med low until the potatoes get really tender.
- After cooking mash the potatoes until smooth. We like chunky soup but you can use an immersion blender or put this in a regular blender to get it even smoother. I find that with these diced potatoes they cook down enough where just mashing them with a potato masher gives them a really smooth texture and you don’t even need a blender!
- Now I add bacon bits directly in my soup because we all love bacon in my household but you can leave the bacon out as a topping for serving.
- Serve this up with all your favorite baked potato toppings. I used sour cream, cheese, more bacon and green onions. I also think this soup would be good if you added steamed and drained broccoli and cheese like a broccoli cheese potato soup. Feel free to experiment, that’s what makes cooking fun!
Enjoy and tag me on Instagram or Facebook if you make this!